Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ting Wireless Review


Ting Wireless Review
 How I saved more with Ting plan vs Prepaid Plan



I have been on Ting wireless plan since May 2012 and I could honestly say that me together with my wife saved more money using the tiered service from Ting as compared to prepaid plan we used to have with T-mobile.

T-mobile's gold prepaid plan allows us to purchase 1,000 minutes for $100.00 which averages about .10 cents per minute. Since we are gold member, the expiration of each load is 1 year. We have a regular flip phone so we only use the talk feature. We seldom use the text feature as it is not convenient to do since there is no querty keyboard option.  My wife averages around $300.00 per year and I average  around $120.00 per year for a total of $420.00 on T-mobile prepaid with flip phone.

Why did I switch to Ting?

As you know, flip phone is too light and my wife have the tendency to put my phone in the washer. I was able to save the phone the first time it was put into the washer but it did not survive it the second time.  At this time, Republic Wireless is making a noise on the news so I decided to look into it. When doing my research, Ting came up and I found it to be a better deal as the phone is cheaper and Ting is already available to all customers unlike Republic who is still on beta group and you will have to wait to get in.

How much money do I save with Ting

By using Ting, we are now able to get a basic smartphone LG optimus for me and LG Marque for my wife. We were able to text more and go on the web if needed. Because we were able to text more, we save more money on voice minutes since we don't have to make the call anymore. The best part on Ting plan is that it allows you to share minutes/text/data with as many family members you have. By sharing minutes and data plan we are saving around $120 a year when you compare it to our old prepaid plan. To save more money, we use Google voice to send free text but even if we add the 500 text option, we will only be averaging around $32.00 monthly.  I like using Google voice though because I can give my Google voice number to non-family member and businesses and they can call and leave message on that number. Google will send the transcribed messaged to me in my inbox. I can check and call them back if it is important.

Below is my current plan.


Below is the dashboard of my usage for the month of September.



Will you save money with Ting? 

If you are a low volume caller and does not use a lot of data or if you are in close proximity to wireless network all the time then you should look at what Ting can offer to you. In the interest of transparency, the link below is a referral link. If you click on the link TING will give you $25.00 off your first phone purchase and will also credit $25.00 on my account.  I am happy with TING so I have no problem recommending their service to others. In fact, I have recommended relatives and friends to Ting already.  


What phones are available with Ting? 

If the phone is available on Sprint, you can use it on Ting. You can also check the device they offer if you click on the link above.  

Is the refurbished phone they offer any good? 

To people like me who want to get a smart phone but does not want to spend a fortune, you can look at the refurbished option from Ting website.  Just to let you know that if you buy the refurbished LG Marquee, be prepared to spend and extra $10.00 to buy a new battery from Amazon as the refurbished LG Marquee I got for my wife and the one that my wife's sister purchase both have short battery life. Ting may have replaced those batteries now as they have mentioned it before on one of the forums. I actually recommended the battery I purchased from Amazon that extended the life of the LG Marquee from around 6 hours to 2 days. On the other hand, the refurbished LG Optimus is excellent. Battery life is about 3 days on normal use and it works and looks like new.  

Ting offers refurbished phone which they support and the Used phone from Glyde. I only purchased the refurbished phone but I have no experience with Glyde. With the refurbished phone, Ting is quick to respond to any problem. In fact, they replaced both LG Marquee that I and my wife's sister purchased when we complain about performance issue.

How about customer service? 
  
Ting's customer service is one the best I have experienced. They are based in Canada and you can contact them via a toll free number or online message.  I have used both form of communication and they have responded quickly on all my request. A live person always answers their toll free number and is very knowledgeable to the questions I have. The online help response is just a few hours.  As long as the rep assigned to your ticket is at work, you will get a quick reply on your questions or a solution to your problems.  

Thank you for reading my first blog post. I hope that I was able to help you by sharing my experience with Ting. If you have any questions, feel free to post a comment.  

Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment